Search This Blog

Friday 8 June 2012

B is For....

BREAKAGE


Due to the structure of Afro hair- knots,split ends and breakage is pretty much inevitable-this can hinder growth which can leave hair at the nape of the neck stage for years or even shorter.

My story-   Every day I would comb my hair with my Den-man and there would be small knots in the sink - I would dread detangling my hair): but one day I was introduced to a wide toothed comb and I never went back! To be fair  I had a lil' breakage it wasn't anything like what I had with my Den-Man. I was ecstatic! Here are my tips which helped reduce my breakage significantly



  1. Put down the comb- a lot of people depend on combs for convenience. Picture this, it's a busy day at work, your late- and then you have to finger detangle. UH.NAH......When my hair was stretched I would constantly comb my hair even though it was detangled and soft, sound familar? This created unnecessary breakage. My solution was to style my hair is a Southern tease Bun- which is easy,neat and eliminates breakage(because your hair isn't rubbing against your clothes). Love this Tutorial
  2. Low Manipulation- If your someone like me who doesn't like their ends to be tucked away for too long in twists and braids then this method might be for you. This simply involves not using direct heat for styling the hair and avoiding consistent combing. What I do is- wash and condition my hair, air dry and stretch my hair with simple plaits (though I redo them throughout the day). Then I moisturize and seal after my hair is dry and put my hair into a Southern Tease Bun. ( I moisturize my ends every day and I moisturize&seal once a week)
  3. Heat- You usually hear naturals saying that heat is bad, blah blah. Although it isn't good sometimes you want to change up your style. I used to blow-dry my hair  every week but now I use it once a month. I think as long as you use a heat protectant, section your hair and  have a good technique-you should be fine. I never blow-dry my hair myself and  I swear by a brilliant heat protectant called Andrew Barton Heat protection styling cream and I use Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum for shine
That's all folks- here are some useful sources to help you




http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/05/b-word.html

No comments:

Post a Comment